Position: Summer Seed Corn Production Field Person
Locations: Vicksburg, Mendon, Constantine, and Howe general vicinities
For those interested in learning more about basic principles of seed corn production. As many are aware, the seed corn industry is a big part of Southwest Michigan, being touted as the “seed” corn capital of the world. It takes many things to make this possible; one of them is good people. Corn plants are continually growing and need daily monitoring during critical periods to manage detasseling and insure seed quality. Individuals will be trained in seed corn production, assigned fields, and responsible to daily:
- Monitor plant (silk/tassel) development
- Monitor field management (detasseling)
- Input information into iPhone app (provided)
- Communicate /coordinate with seed production managers
Work is seasonal in summer with training near the end of June and field visits beginning near the first part of July. Peak times are near July 15th to 22nd and finished near the first part of August.
- Interest and/or experience in seed corn production.
- Maturity to assume responsibility and work independently.
- Good health – ability to walk long distances.
- Ability and confidence to communicate with people.
- Familiarity with iPad/iPhone.
- Have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Willingness to work extended hours.
- Desire for outside work environments.
- Free of corn allergies
If you are a responsible person and like to work independently, this may be a good job for you. It is a good fit for teachers, school staff, college or university students, retirees, and those who like the outdoors. Must be 18 years of age.
Wages are paid at a rate of $14 to $15 per hour with consideration for additional maturity and experience. Mileage will be reimbursed at the standard IRS rate.
Michigan Crop Improvement performs seed certification: through a verification process, utilizing field inspection and lab testing, for genetic identity and purity, to assist the Ag seed industry.
Contact: Chris Tiedje
Email: email@example.com Office: 517-332-3546 Cell: 517-449-5160