Happy 4th of July from the MCIA Team!
Everyone is clearly aware of the inflation climb that has been going on over the past few years. Here is some interesting information before you head to the grocery store for your weekend BBQ.
Your cookout will cost you 17% more than last year.
Here are some individual prices for your cookouts this summer:
- 2lbs of ground beef: $11.12 (+36%)
- 2lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts: $8.99 (+33%)
- 3lbs of center cut pork chops: $15.26 (+31%)
- 8pk of hamburger buns: $1.93 (+16%)
- 1/2gal of vanilla ice cream: $5.16 (+10%)
On the brighter side, fresh strawberries declined on average, 86 cents compared to last year.
According to the USDA, farmers only currently receive approximately 8% of every food marketing dollar. Their share of the retail dollar is sometimes as low as 2%-4% for highly processed foods like bread and cereal, however, farmers are getting up to 35% or more for fresh products.
The MCIA Office will be closed on Monday, July 4th. Enjoy your weekend & stay safe!
AFBF, Michigan Farm News, Farm News Media